Don and I decided to do a 30 Days of Service Challenge after watching the below video by Comedian Mike Goodwin.
I thought it was going to easy to knock out. Wrong! The 1st few days we were enthusiastic about out-serving each other. He made me breakfast in bed more than one Saturday. I fixed his plate on several occasions
I thought to myself, “This is going to be easy.” I thought, “Tanya, you got this.”
I quickly saw how unprepared I was to do this challenge. I gave it no thought and struggled the first few days. I actually realized that Don does way more for me than I do for him. That made me mad. I was determined to outdo him.
He is the messy person in our marriage so his side of the room is a train wreck. I decided to clean it up for him and to organize his closet. He was blown away because I usually fuss about how much of a mess his area is. After receiving a nice “wifey reward”, I decided to ramp this service thing up.
If you are inspired to take the 30 Days of Service Challenge, below are a few things I did for my husband or what he did for me.
- Pack their lunch
- Give them the evening off while you run the kids around
- Drop off/pick up their dry cleaning
- Fix their plate
- Wash their clothes and put them away
- Clean up their side of the room
- Write a letter of appreciation
- Place an envelope with a gift card from their favorite food spot in their car
- Turn off the television and give them your time
- Give a back massage after a shower
- Give a pedicure (Yes, I did this for my honey and yes, it was weird.)
- Grab their favorite food on the way home from work.
Side note: My sixteen year old daughter had a lot to say about me serving my husband. She was actually irritated by it all. I’m thankful she voiced her annoyance because this opened dialogue in our home about husbands and wives serving each other with both our teens.
This is not an exhaustive list but rather a start. I promise, you will see your spouse with different eyes after completing this challenge. Make sure to let me know how it goes. Share your comments via TW/FB/IG at @realwifecoach.