My husband and I love to travel so we were super excited when we found out we were headed back to Jamaica. We took our yearly trip with our awesome travel agent and a group of 60 people. This year we went to the Grand Bahia Principe Resort, Runaway Bay, Jamaica in July 2016. http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-jamaica/resort-jamaica/
This resort is all inclusive to include alcohol and non-motorized water activities. There was one main buffet place to eat for the entire resort. The breakfast lines were out the door and around the corner every morning. There was a snack shack but it had weird hours.
I promise to give a fair and honest review. This is my 1st review.
- The resort is about 1 hour away from the airport.
- The resort is huge and has 815 rooms. I felt like it was super crowded and there were kids everywhere.
- The front desk staff was not friendly at all. We had a room mix up, asked them to fix it however, they were rude. The staff would go to the back room and not come out for awhile. Other guests had room issues as well.
- Elevators were scarce and far. I didn’t mind it since I usually use stairs but I felt for people who have bad knees or were in wheelchairs. I used my Nike+ app and clocked 3.5 miles in one day walking from the beach, restaurants, pools, my room, etc. If you have little kids, bring a stroller so they don’t have to walk so much.
- Since I am coffee drinker, I was looking all over for it in the morning. There are two Nescafe machines at the bar outside the lobby. You can drink coffee all day from these. They also had cold water out all day for you to drink along with pastries in the morning and cookies or muffins during the day.
- It was difficult getting dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants. We had to check back every morning to see if they had cancellations.
- The pool was beautiful but crowded, so we decided to find chairs over on the adults only side of the resort. It was extremely quiet over there and we enjoyed it.
- There are several beach areas. Some portions of beaches are rocky. We walked to the far side of the beach where the beach was smooth and the water was beautiful. There is also a secluded nude beach attached to this side of the beach.
- There were weddings everyday inside a gazebo on the beach. Every one that I witnessed was beautiful.
- The food was just okay in the buffets so after a few days, I was over it.
- The rooms were spacious and cleaned everyday. The refrigerators had Red Stripe Beer, Coke products and water.
- My husband complained that the drinks were watered down so he stuck with Red Stripe. I drank sparkling water mixed with fruit juice as well as virgin cocktails. I tried the wines, but they were bitter.
- We went on 2 excursions that I will review in another post. We went to the Bob Marley House and Rick’s Cafe.
- Since we were with a group, the check out was easy and our travel agent arranged a shuttle for us to ride back to the airport.
I was not paid to for this review.
Pool early in the morning
Lots of paths for walking…not handicap friendly.
Pictures of carpet with stains: the entire resort carpets looked like this